I Am Now Free to Roam the Planet

Guess who got her passport in the mail last week? This girl!



I feel a certain sense of freedom in knowing that I can travel to far off destinations, and yet, still be allowed back into the U.S. when the day is done. Like my boundaries just expanded ten-fold and I've got a whole new list of places that just became available to me that weren't just two weeks ago.

So, what's a newly passported world traveler to do?

I'm leaving the country, of course!



But, I'm not going to China just yet. I know, I know. We'll get there, friend. And when we do, you know I'll write at least a word or two about the trip for you to read.

For now our destination is......HAITI!!!

In less than two months, I will be leaving on a jet plane headed south to Haiti to hit the mission field. And, oh my goodness, I'm excited. I haven't been on a mission trip since the days where I was sportin' big bangs courtesy of Aqua Net and Kriss Kross was all about making ya' "Jump! Jump!" And needless to say, those trips were kept well contained within the Bluegrass State.

I'm going with a small group to join up with our partner church down in Haiti. We'll be spending a few days doing some medical missions, visiting local orphanages, and whatever work God sets out for us. I'm looking forward to all of it, but I really wanted to take advantage of being able to step onto the global orphan care field. Up till now, I've pleaded and begged for you to care for them, but I've never gotten face to face with these children, and I don't want to be a girl of empty words.

I have to confess, in the beginning I wrote this trip on my calendar as "Haiti?" The question mark was courtesy of my indecisiveness that couldn't choose whether going was a good idea or not. I even scribbled another event or two on the calendar during the same time frame. However, those items seemed to fall through and get cancelled. It was as if God was saying, "No, that isn't where I want you to be. I want you over here."

Then there were the little details, such as: I don't have a passport, and I'm not sure the one I applied for will come in on time. (Please re-read the first sentence of this blog post to see that this is now a non-issue) Then there was the money. Travel for missions, even though it is wonderful, does not come with a cheaper flight price. So, the family that was already saving for an adoption took a break from the adoption fund and poured that money into this trip. And, God being an awesome provider, just happened to bring an extra blessing to me this morning in providing the other half of my travel expenses through donation! So, the money issue? It's become a non-issue as well.

Therefore, I believe we have come to the point where I can clearly see the green light, and so I say, "Here I am, Lord. Send me."

Now, I'm going take a deep breath and share with you just what my prayer is about this trip. I'm praying to be broken. To have the scales fall off my eyes and get a dose of reality of just what the "least of these" truly looks like. If it means my heart shatters and I end up a heap of tears, so be it. God will be faithful to piece me back together, and I know I'll be all the better for it. But, at the same time, I'm completely overwhelmed and nervous to pray these things because in His faithfulness, I'm sure He will answer this girl's prayers. And, shew, there could be some painful growth that comes with that answer. Uncomfortable, why can You not just leave me where I was growth. I'm ready and not ready all at the same time.

Want to help me out on this journey? Then pray, pray, pray alongside me. Not just for me, but for my brothers and sisters who are going with me. For the people who we cross paths with. For traveling mercies. For our health while we are there. For our families that we'll be leaving behind. For Jesus to shine through every word, every action, and above all else, for God to get the glory for this whole thing.

This girl is hitting the road. I've got Haiti in my eyesight, but there's a big globe that's calling my name. Who's with me?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour