Everybody Needs a Cheerleader

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:1-2 (ESV)

A few weeks ago, I was taking a walk through our local sports park. I passed by one of the baseball fields and heard the familiar crack of the bat followed by loud cheering from the fans in the stands. I don't know if you've ever been to a little league game before, but they are quite entertaining. It always puts a smile on my face when a child first starts hitting the ball coming off the pitching machine, because the first thing that usually happens is they freeze. I'm sure their brain is saying, "Oh my goodness, did I actually just hit the ball?" So, the crowd will begin to cheer and scream, "Run!!" and off their little legs go, as fast as they can trying to make it to first base. It's adorable.

Can you imagine what it would be like if, when they made that first hit, nobody made a sound? Everyone just sat there watching from the stands, silent, wearing stony faces that showed no emotion. I'm sure the child would still run to first, but do you think he/she would run nearly as fast? Would their hearts be beating madly while they sported a triumphant grin, feeling like they just won the World Series? I think not.


As adults, we're really no different. I don't think there ever comes a day when we don't need a cheerleader. That source of encouragement, that one person who believes in what we're doing and picks us up when we want to sit in the dirt and give up the race.

I lost my first cheerleader in 2001 when my mother passed away, and then lost my second when my father died just 4 years later. They were parents who always believed that I could do anything I set my mind to. They thought it was wonderful when I wanted to be a dentist, a veterinarian, a pediatrician, a lawyer, and then an artist. For every year I got older and every time I changed my mind of what my future would entail, they were behind me 100%. In the end, I married very young and spent my first years being a stay-at-home mom. And that was just fine and dandy with them as well.

Every child needs that someone who thinks they're something fantastic. That God was showing off the day they were created and He made a child who was just perfect for their mom and dad. I, myself, have three something specials, and even though one is 16 and towers over me by many inches, I still hug and brag on him just the same. We never quit needing that type of embracing love.

Now don't you worry, I still have my personal fan section. I met my biggest supporter 22 years ago, and next Monday it will be 19 years since we said "I do." He backs me up on this journey to speak up for the fatherless, posts on his Facebook every time I write a new blog entry. He doesn't let me fall asleep on the job, but keeps asking me what's next? How do we keep reaching out? I must admit, I'm his #1 fan as well.
Then there's Lucy, Ethel, LA and many more. God has abundantly blessed me, so I'm never short on encouragers.

I haven't posted a video lately, and my kids brought this one to my attention. Kid President cracks us up, and I love that one so young felt the need to give the world a pep talk. It's never to early.



Send some encouraging words out today. Lift someone's spirits. Be a cheerleader.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour