Cupcakes, Consignments and Contributions

"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin...But if God clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious...your heavenly Father knows that you need them all."   taken from Matthew 6:28-32


I've been busy this afternoon, taking a break from my to-do list and taking time to write out some thank you's. The picture above is my list in what I've now coined as my "adoption notebook." It's where I write notes such as the major holidays observed in Costa Rica and little things that come to mind when I think of our 5 ticos.

But it's also where I'm making a list of names that have given to our family in support of our adoption. It helps keep me focused on the ways that God's working that has nothing really to do with me, but relies fully on Him to provide.

Some gifts are financial in nature, but there's also a set of beds we needed and received from friends, as well as clothes that were donated from the local consignment sale that will help outfit our girls and boy. In fact, I've got a plastic tub with each one's name and birth date, waiting for when 5 little lives become a part of our family. (I'm writing their birth dates down as often as I can in hopes that repetition will help me remember 5 new special family days. Heaven help me, I'm 41 and trying to add in 5 more days to my mental calendar is a challenge!)

And this past weekend, during the consignment sale, I had one fellow adoptive mom who stepped up and organize a bake sale to help us fund raise. She took in the donations, she set up the table, and she manned the table herself. I only showed up and helped man it on Saturday. It was such a gift to not have to try and organize another fundraiser by myself, but to have someone step up and volunteer was such a huge blessing! Not only did it help raise much needed funds, but it also gave us a chance to tell our story. The "why" of adoption and the faithfulness of a God who has called us to follow Him. That's some good stuff!

And getting back to the list, I don't even know everyone on it. I may meet them one day, but maybe not. Nevertheless, the were kind enough to give freely, and God used their generosity to help encourage our family to keep going. Even when I get the chance to tell others about the gifts we received, we are giving testimony to how God is providing. I believe it's this coming alongside one another that helps magnify Him to a world where people are just unhappy or unsure or scared of how things are today. There's still light in the dark, there's still hope for the hopeless, there's still generosity in the land of "me first."

So, for those of you who may be supporting us in ways I don't even realize - sharing our story with others, praying on our behalf, donating items for the yard sale that I don't even know about - THANK YOU!!! I'd give each of you a hug if I could. It was our choice to take that first step of faith and say "yes" to God's adventure, but you play such a big part in keeping us upright on the days when it seems too big to accomplish. May you be blessed by the way you've blessed our lives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour