Why Would We Not?

 "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:31-32, ESV

It has become apparent to me that I have been knock-my-socks-off, overwhelmingly, abundantly blessed by God with the people He has placed in my life. Truly, I am surrounded by some Jesus-loving women who seek God's will and strive to live in obedience to Him. They encourage me, they support me, and they don't think I'm crazy when I share with them what I feel God has in store for my life, no, they just keep lifting me up in prayer. They are each different and unique and they are precious, precious treasures to me.

So, this afternoon I spent my lunch hour sharing a meal with one such friend. She's a foster mom who gave up her career in nursing to stay home, homeschool the children she had at the time and then she and her husband stepped out into fostering, opening their home to the children that God placed in their path. I have had a front row seat to the highs and lows that this journey in her life has taken her through. I have rejoiced and shared sorrow, I have smiled and I have cried, and she has walked right alongside me in my own crazy life. 

Recently, she was once again spending the day sitting in a court room for one of her foster children. I was unaware she had court that day, but when she got home that afternoon, she posted the following on Facebook: 

"Today I saw brokenness.....TRUE brokenness and I realized that the God of heaven & earth has answered another of my prayers....I pray for God to break my heart for what breaks His and today I cried for that broken person. I will continue to pray for her but today I rest in this verse....For my thoughts are not your thoughts,  neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. (Isaiah 55:8)"

I immediately sent a text to check in on my friend to see what had her so upset, and it was the mother of her foster children. Today, we had the chance to further discuss that day's events. You see, mom doesn't have custody of any of her kids. A young woman with a rough past and a substance abuse problem, her habit has caused her to lose every child she has ever given birth to.

Now, here's the part where some would say angry, harsh words that would condemn this woman. It doesn't matter how many kids she has, she still chooses drugs. Serves her right to lose her kids, they're better off with other families, and so on and so forth.

But, my friend? She just sits and tells me this young woman's story with tears in her eyes. She shows up for every court-ordered visit, she shares pictures of the little ones with mom, and she tries to talk to mom about trying to get some help for her children's sake. She asks me to pray for this young woman by name. 

What do you think makes the difference in the reaction of my sweet sister? How does she stop being a source of wrath and judgment, but instead shows mercy and love? It's God of course! We sat at that table today and talked about how the very same sin that plagues that young woman's life is no different then the sins on our records. Our actions that demanded payment through Christ's sacrifice aren't any better than hers. She needs grace just as much as we do, because neither of us could help ourselves out of the mess we were in. Hallelujah, God chose to shower us in grace and mercy so we might have hope! 

On my drive back to my office, I thought about my friend and the impact she is having on this young woman and her children. Yes, they're in foster care, but they're in a home with a family that loves and prays over them. Some day, when they're old enough, those babies will hear the redemption story. They'll have a mom and a dad who prays for the woman who gave them life and care enough about this broken girl to see her through God's eyes, see that she means something to Him and pray for her restoration.

Which begs me to ask the question, why are there not more of us stepping up to be the light in this darkened place? If we could have the chance to bring a child into a loving home where they can hear the gospel, why aren't there more of us saying, "Yes, Lord, Here I am"? Why are we not rushing to these foster and adoptive families asking how could we come alongside them? If it were possible for us to have this type of witness to more children, to more lost people in the world, Why would we not? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour