Equipping is Not Eliminating

This weekend I was treated to a wonderful conference hosted by Orphan Care Alliance called Help Hope Heal. (Try saying that three times fast, somehow I always end up talking about Ron Popeil) This is the second year I've attended, and this year had me sitting in front of different speakers than I listened to last year, discussing different topics all with one focus - to help those who have decided to love the orphans of the world. The audience is a mish-mash of foster parents, social workers, church ministry people, and adoptive parents.

We love our kids. We want what is best for our kids. We want to see our children thrive and succeed in life.

But, we also realize one important thing - it ain't easy.

Adoption, fostering, orphan care work always includes some form of grief and is often mixed with neglect, abuse, and abandonment. To have a child experience these types of pain at such an early point in their life means that there are going to be hard moments, challenging moments, heart breaking moments. But for those of us who have chosen to love these sons and daughters abundantly and freely, we cling to the promise that God makes beauty from ashes (Isaiah 61:3) and He will carry us through.

More than once, I've heard someone say, "God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called." It's a lovely sentiment that's often meant to make us feel better when we're trying to decide whether to step out of our comfort zone and follow where He leads. And, I firmly believe that God who has given me the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5), who has placed inside of me one-third of the Holy Trinity, certainly has given me what I need to do that which He has called me to.

What's sad is when we seem to think that equipping is the same as eliminating. That once you jump on board to God's plan, the path is easy and pain-free, there won't be any trials or struggles, the days of challenges and attacks from the enemy are over. I fear that if we adopt this idea of pain-free obedience, we'll abandon the journey at the first sign of trouble.

No, equipping means He gives me what I need because He's already seen the challenges I will face. He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, there is not part of my journey that He has not already seen played out to completion. There are no surprises for God.

When God gave Moses the staff, He knew that his servant would be denied the right to lead the Israelites out of Egypt multiple times by Pharaoh. When He placed David on the field against a giant with just a handful of stones in his bag, God knew that young boy wouldn't have a family or a king who thought he could slay Goliath, but instead would face the battle with the voice of question and ridicule ringing in his ears. When Paul hit the road to spread the gospel of Christ from town to town, God knew the time and location of every criticizing word, whipping, and jail cell the man would call home.

Adoption, fostering, orphan care is not easy. I sat through story after story at that conference that brought tears to my eyes. I saw pictures projected on a screen the effects abuse and neglect can have on a child's brain. I learned how to help my child grieve and mourn the loss that is part of their past, their story. It's enough to make our family, friends, and other people ask, "Why? Why are you doing this? Why would you open up your heart and home to the possibility of this type of pain?"

I do it because I know,

"For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I am the one who helps you." Isaiah 41:!3

He's got our family in this journey. He's holding our right hand like a daddy with a small child. He continues to give me education, encouragement, and people who will pray for my family and cheer us on. No, He has not eliminated every moment of tears, pain or frustration that we have yet to face, but He has equipped us to get through them, and He will not leave us to do it alone. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour