Doesn't Everyone Want a Ticket to Crazytown?

In a word, no.

They really don't. If you are like me and have this new desire and passion, you want everyone to share your enthusiasm. Come on, people, let's all go fill our homes with as many children as we can!

So let me be honest when I say, that's not the way it goes. In fact, a response you'll more likely get is a slight tilt of their head as they stare at you and mull over the news you've just shared. Then come the questions. Oh, the questions.

Whether you've decided to adopt, foster, go on a long term mission trip to Africa, move to the other side of the U.S., or quit your job to pursuit your love of cooking, there are going to be questions. And after being questioned by not one, or two, but many, many people, you may start to get a little snippy. It starts to feel personal. All I wanted is for you to be happy for me, but instead, I feel like I have to defend my position. I have been there, my friend.

And after thinking about the motives behind all those questions, can I share my thoughts?

First, some people are just curious. You have just left the comfortable norm that most people live in. The changes you are making aren't little, they are big, and people want to know all about it. What's your motivation? Why are you taking your little piece of the world and shaking it up? Sometimes it's information they're looking for. If it's something like fostering or joining a certain missions group, they may want to know what the process is, how long this takes, do you get any special training. We live in a world where there is an overabundance of reality TV, and you know why? Because I may never be an ice road trucker, go gator hunting, or own my own duck call business, but I sure want to know what it's like.

Secondly, some people just love and care for you, and because of that, they are going to worry. Your big news comes with a whole heapin' helpin' of concerns. How this will affect you, your family, your finances, your career. When life is going good, it doesn't make sense to welcome this type of chaos in the front door. Maybe, just maybe, if they bring enough concerns to light, you just might rethink this whole thing and decide you did not want to increase the population of Crazytown. In all those questions, there might be something you hadn't considered. These well intentioned friends and family really do love you, and they just don't want to see you hurt. So, in their concern, they question, and that's okay.

And last, but certainly not least, some people are just Negative Nellies. You could give every carefully constructed answer, backed by statistics and positive testimonies, and they still would think you have lost your mind. Hopefully you knew before that session of Q&A that those people never have something nice to say, so you just smile through the conversation and go on with your day.

So, before you suit up in full battle armor and get ready to go on the defensive, my friend, take a breath and settle down. Unruffle those feathers and try and respond with as much grace as you can muster. Charm the socks off of them with your witty repartee. Enlighten them with all the information you've gleaned.

Remember, there is always the possibility that the reason why they've come to talk to you is because God has placed a tiny spark within them. Hearing what you have to say just might be the encouragement they need to kindle that spark into a flame that starts a fire of their own. How awesome would that be?! There is nothing more comforting than finding another person you can share your passion with. We were made for relationship, we need to be each others support and encouragement.

And if nothing else, the one thing God has been teaching me through this journey - So what if nobody approves of your decision? If the reason why you've hopped the train is because this is something God has called you to do, then that is all the confirmation you need. His desire over my life, following where He leads must come first and foremost over any of the input I receive from those around me. That's been a hard lesson for me to learn.

So, if you have a question or two, I'm available to answer. I love to talk about this thing that stirs my heart and has compelled me to action. Email me, find me on Facebook, or we can make a date to do lunch. (I would say call me, but in case you didn't know, I hate phones. I chalk it up to working in a travel reservation center for years where I took calls all day long.)

***As an update, the meds and ammo are now under lock and key. We are the proud owners of a 100% too good to be true first aid kit AND fire extinguisher. And, I'm 6 pages into my autobipgraphy. I had to stop yesterday when I got to the part about self-reflection. I waived the white flag of defeat and put it off for today....or tomorrow...maybe?***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour