Because I'm Just One Girl on the Other Side of the World

Today, I'm asking that we take a break from the Holleran's whirlwind ride to welcoming a daughter home. I'm suggesting that we all take a step back. In fact, let's keep walking until we get to the coastline. Maybe you're standing on the shore of North Carolina looking out at the Atlantic, or maybe our imaginary journey has brought you to a California beach looking out at the Pacific. Could be you're even reading from some foreign land and there's a different body of blue that fills your eyesight. Either way, when we look across that water, there's a resource for orphan care I think we skip right over.



I love America. I think it's a huge blessing that when God decided where to plant my little life, He placed me in a land with so many things to be thankful for. Each and every day I realize I have so much more than I need. It's wonderful. However, this doesn't label me as the perfect solution to every child in crisis.

That's hard to admit sometimes. I want to put on my superhero cape and rush out the door and save them all! Fear not, small children, I'll rescue you! But let's be serious, 151 million orphans? Not happening today, or tomorrow for that matter.

So, besides my neighbors, where can we go to find people who could reach out in love to our little brothers and sisters in need?

The indigenous church. Fellow believers that can be found inside the borders of Ethiopia, Russia, China, the Ukraine, and so on.

If you look at Old Testament scripture, the command was often to leave behind some of what you harvest for the very orphans and widows in your midst. It was taking care of the people who share your piece of the planet. That's still a very viable solution.

While it may cost me many thousands of dollars to adopt a child from a foreign nation, it will cost much less for someone within that country to welcome one of these children into their own home. So, not only can more lives be reached, but, when this occurs, the child stays in a place where he or she is surrounded by that which they were already familiar with.

How do we do it? We encourage our international churches to be the ones adopting and becoming foster families in their own communities, to reach out to the orphans in their midst. It's praying that God would do a mighty work stirring up their hearts so they can't help but reach out to these children in love! May it be, Lord, right now! It's educating and equipping them to answer the call that James 1:27 has placed not on just the American Christian, but on all Christians.

What does this mean for me? Well, it means I stuff my vanity and pride into the trash bin, and realize that the welfare of children in crisis far outweighs my need for feeling important. It means I may give up being the hands-on doer of the work, and instead offer prayer, support and financial resources to my brother and sister in a foreign land. I know, that isn't nearly as much fun as hopping a plane to the African wilds yourself, but sometimes, the best thing isn't the exciting thing. I know, when you just give it up, you can't make sure the job was done according to your specifics. At times like these, you have to let go and trust God's got it.

Does this mean we stop international adoption or global orphan care? Absolutely not. Orphans aren't going to disappear overnight. They still need homes, and if God is calling you to open your door, then by all means, follow His lead. If you have a chance to take to the mission field with a focus on orphan care, get on out there. Keep sponsoring children. Keep filling those Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.

This is about recognizing that I'm just one girl, and I CANNOT do it all. It's accepting there are others out there, and I need to help them as much as I can.

So, where can you go to help? Well one resource is Bethany Christian Services. Not only does Bethany do international adoption work, but they also go into these same countries to help the peopl already there to be a source of love to the fatherless. You can get to there website here. If you look under the Services tab, you will see international foster care, training, family support. They are doing work in several countries that you can learn more about. (And, they have videos! I love me some videos.)

There are other groups that work to help the indigenous church reach out to local orphans. Seek them out. Prayerfully consider what your part may be in the bigger picture.

*** And for a short little update on our little family, not only did I finish my ten-page autobiography, but I already had my second interview with the social worker! Yeah! One step closer. Getting it done. Now I have to complete ten hours worth of online training and read through several different reading materials. But, hey, with three kids going back to school in a few weeks, dance class, soccer, and church activities starting back up, I've got time on my hands, right?***



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour