When the Like Button Reaches Further Than I Ever Expected

 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2 (NIV)

I need to take a moment to share something that has been bothering me. I realize we live in a social media driven world. I will openly share that not only do I write this blog, but I also Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. (well not so much on the Tweeting... I have yet to learn the art of shortening my thoughts) I rely on these very things to help me get my words to a larger audience. While I didn't give the Google search engine much thought when I started this blog, you would be surprised just how many countries I've reached because someone just happened to look for a particular phrase and landed on my page. I'm a little amazed.

So why my frustration?

The "Like" button. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about. That little four letter word with a number beside it that shows us just how many people thought we had the wittiest reflection over our morning cup of coffee or how many of the masses think our recipe for apple cobbler is to die for and they are surely going to make it for their family that very night. Let's face it people, it's an affirmation contest and we are hoping to reach double digits, whether we'll admit to it or not. For many of us, that thumbs up is the other half of a love/hate relationship that can make us feel like our words and pictures have worth or that no one understands how we feel. But, I only recently began to see just how far that popularity contest went.

I follow one particular Chinese orphanage on Facebook. We had some friends at our church who know a couple that adopted from this organization, and seeing as our family is adopting from China, I immediately looked them up. This page is very good about updating every day with pictures of the most precious faces. I just want to rent an airplane and bring them all home! All of the children are considered special needs, so many will go through surgeries, illness and other challenges. When the orphanage shares them, the reader gets a chance to pray or provide for the requests. It's a great tool to allow those of us on this side of the world to take part in global orphan outreach.

However, I began to notice that some pictures were racking up the "Like" status numbers, while others remained rather dismal. It began to really annoy me, because the theme I found was that what many would consider adorable kids got high marks, while those who may have an outward difference, such as an exposed cleft lip weren't reaching so high. I began to think, "Is this saying what I think it is?" Have we become so hooked into showing support for that which appeals to our eyes, that we can barely spare a glance for those that may not be labeled as cosmetically beautiful? We just scroll on past because there is something there that makes us feel slightly uncomfortable and we need to avert our eyes elsewhere.

Well, guess what? Orphans aren't always darlings with satin curls and adorable dimples.

Sometimes it's  the 5 year old boy in Eastern Europe who is missing an arm and whose head is shaved short so keeping his hair lice free at the orphanage is easier. Sometimes it's the 13 year old girl who has lost her parents to the AIDS epidemic and now she has been ostracized by the people in her village. And yes, it's even that adorable little 4 year old who opens his mouth and spouts one four-letter word after another, because before the Cabinet stepped in and removed him from a toxic home environment, those words were every day life.

I think this verse in Romans says it perfectly. We need to let go of our tight grip to the pattern of this world, the one that leads us to "like" that which appeals to our eyes. Instead, maybe we should ask for God to transform our sight so that we see what He does. Then we can begin to realize He took the time to create each and every life. A life that has worth. A life that was made for relation, both with the Creator and with those around him or her. And then maybe we can see just how important it is to step forward and take our place in loving on these children. All of these children.

Is it pretty or easy? Not always. Is it good and pleasing to God? Yes. Is that enough? Absolutely.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour