His Plans Are Better Plans

In my last post I shared that there were things going on in my little corner of the world. Plans in motion. Exciting times. So much so, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to explain what's on my heart.

Can I go back in the past a little? Mind taking a glance to days gone by before we shoot forward?

Two things stand out to me:

First, our family's first attempt at beginning the adoption process. I know I've shared it before, but when we filled out our paperwork the first time, we felt we were answering God's call. But......let me have a little exposed honesty moment with you. I really, really, really wanted to adopt for little old me as well. I wanted the fun and the adventure. I wanted something new and exciting that other people would get excited about as well. Shame on me for feeling this way, but it was like signing up for a special club. Not that this was my complete motivation, but these selfish, pride-producing feelings were there. So, looking back, maybe it's not surprising that we got thrown into a complete halt. Yes, we were obedient to the call, but I'm not sure I was going to be a God-glorifying girl first go round. There was some work to be done, and thank goodness, I believe He has done some changing and rearranging inside me. What used to be an indulgent move on my part has turned into passion that comes from seeing children as God's individual handiwork, and His desire to put them into the families they were created for has become my mission. It isn't just about my adoption any longer, it's advocating for the fatherless, it's going and loving, it's encouraging other families, it's prayer and petition, it's sacrifice, it's so much more and so much better than anything I thought I could do when I was running the show. Hallelujah! Thank goodness He was patient to keep working on me, and didn't leave me to my own devices.

And second, a chance conversation. Now, before you say there isn't such a thing as chance when God has His plans in place, I agree. But, what I'm trying to say is, I didn't wake up that morning saying, "I'm going to go find where I can serve orphans today, and before I go to bed, I'll have a time and location." It was just plain curiosity from a spark God lit inside me that got me here. I had been reading Johnny Carr's book Orphan Justice and I just wanted to know what part our church, or more specifically Southern Baptists, play in global orphan care. Do we sponsor orphanages? Do we do orphan care mission trips? It's right there in the scriptures that we're to go and do, so we must be doing something, right? I posed these questions to our pastor that very morning, and his reply was, "Interesting you should ask that..." That right there is a phrase that would end up being an invitation. A conversation there would turn into a discussion with my husband. That discussion would lead to others, and before you know it, we were having dinner with two missionaries. A couple more back emails back and forth, and before we could say "Merry Christmas!" we had two plane tickets. And, right now, we're down to fine-tuning the details. So, to end my vague rambling, let me share......


WE'RE GOING TO AFRICA!!!!




I give you free reign to do a little happy dance with me. I am over-the-moon excited! One month from today, God willing, my husband and I will have feet planted on Kenyan soil. It seems when I asked what our church was doing for global orphan care, there was some talk already started about partnering with an orphanage outside of Nairobi. So, my simple question turned into an invitation to go on a vision trip. I couldn't feel more blessed to have been given such an opportunity. Truly, I am floored that God decided to include me in this little adventure. What is it He saw when He chose me?

So far, the doors have been wide open for us to walk through. We were able to gather the money for the trip. (Thank goodness adoption fees are split into pieces with time spaced between payments. People, we need that time!) We didn't even have to search out child care. When I mentioned the trip, one friend simply offered up her home to care for our kiddos. How fantastic a blessing is that? I have only grown deeper in my love and friendship with my sweet sister who is taking care of arranging our trip. That one dinner we shared months ago has turned into prayer and encouragement and excitement to be meeting up again next month.

At first, I felt this urge to try and figure out each and every little thing we should be doing to partner with the orphanage. Almost as if I wanted to form a plan before I even saw the place. But somewhere along the way, I've just felt peace to let go and let God. I've given up the urgency and decided I'm just going to try and be present, and wait on Him to reveal what He wants this thing to look like. And, it has been so much better since then. The baby home we are visiting is getting ready to change locations. We might be helping pack, we might be doing some light handiwork, I might even be painting a pretty picture or two on their new walls. AAAAHHHH!!!! I am so excited!!!

But more importantly, we're there to build relationships. To love on those precious babies. To lead devotionals and encourage the staff. To use the few days we have to serve side-by-side with them. I'm full to the top with heart-warming delight and joy to get the chance to love on some new faces.

So, before we go and while we're there, you, my friends, can lift us up in prayer. It's a two-day journey to get there and back with some very long plane rides. I'm not looking forward to those at all. While we're there, pray that we would be able to see what God would have us do and that we would begin to form lasting relationships with the people of Kenya. Pray that God would be glorified in all we say and do, and that we would follow His lead and not our own personal agenda. Pray for the family and staff that take care of these children in both the baby home and in the nearby children's home. Pray for our missionary friends. Pray, pray, pray. And, when you get up the next day, I'd be okay with you praying for us all over again. : )

It is amazing where God has led me in two years. I would never have predicted it, and if you had told me this is where I would be, I would have scoffed at the impossibility of it all. But, God's plans are better than mine. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour