Paint & Glue, A Scripture or Two, This is How We Bring a Child Home

I've yet to mention the price tag that comes along with this adoption, and I'm not about to start giving spouting a list of facts and figures to you right now. Surprising, I know, as I love that kind of thing. Suffice it to say, adoption is more expensive then a brand new car and less than your average mortgage.

For many, that many-digit figure will be the stopping point. It can be overwhelming to look at the bottom line. Hopeful musings turn into impossible dreams, and adoption becomes that thing that other people do. The people that can pay that much money. As for me and my house, we aren't those people on paper. I don't have thousands sitting in an account that I just couldn't figure out how to spend, nor do we live at the top of the tax bracket. In fact, most of the adopting families I spend time with fall into the same category.

But, we do recognize that God has blessed us with more than enough, and so we choose to sacrifice, to budget, to save and to work a little extra to make the payments that are all a part of bringing our daughter home.

If money is the thing that's keeping you from adoption, if the thousands that you will need to bring your child home seem like more than you could ever manage, can I just say, God is bigger than that figure and He's in the business of adoption.

Yes, adopting a child comes with a price tag, but if you're a believer, your adoption came with an even costlier price. While our family may sacrifice vacations for the next year or so, though Christmas gifts this year may fall a little on the slim side, there is One who was willing to sacrifice His one and only Son so you would be able to be a son or daughter of the Most High King.

"...even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth." Ephesians 1:4-10 ESV

God, in love, made the way for you and I to be adopted into His family, and without that sacrifice, we would be lost.

While we would never claim to be anyone's savior, our family chooses to follow that example of sacrificial love, and in doing so, we can welcome another into our family.

So, what's a family who is pursuing adoption to do? To help to cover costs, most adopting families will at some point in time fundraise in one way or another.

For me, I paint.



I'll admit God has blessed me with talent that not everyone has. When I began college back in the early nineties, it was as an art student. I have always loved to draw, paint, work with wood, clay or leather, create homemade cards and crafts. If there are art supplies involved, I'm a happy camper. (Even if it's just a Care Bears coloring book and a new box of crayons. Who doesn't love a new box of crayons?!) But, my art has been sporadic for years. I'm a legal secretary by day. Add in wife, mom, children's bible study teacher, orphan advocate, and I don't have much free time.

By chance, I purchased some canvases early this summer. I had one singular painting running through  my head, and I had the rest of my supplies in my supply closet, so why not? When I finished that painting, one turned into two, and before you know, I had more than a few Picassos in my collection! I would happen upon scripture in my daily readings or while browsing through Pinterest. The ideas just kept multiplying. I would scribble them down on scraps of paper, type them into the memo section of my phone, and in the late hours of the night I would put brush to canvas.

And, people liked them.

It's one thing when your husband or kids beam a smile at you and say, "That's fantastic." They are forever tied to you in love and will usually say the nice thing. It's their job. But, when other people think your art is something they'd like to hang on their walls, well that's something else.

For our family, it became the greatest blessing. Because the money I've made from these pieces of my creativity have turned into the next payment that will allow us to welcome our daughter home. And, to be honest, it was a blessing unplanned and unexpected. This new found inspiration, for me, is such a God thing. There may not be cash waiting on my doorstep when I wake up in the morning, but in His unique way, He is providing for us as we step out in faith.

So, no, you may not be a Monet in the making, but just as our journey is unique to us, yours will be to you. Have we got this whole adventure financed 100%? That would be a negative. Do I think we'll make it? I'm positive we will.

*** Status update - we had our third and final interview with our social worker today! Can I get a woot woot? Now we just tie up some loose paperwork ends and before you know it, our stuff is off to the Department of State. Cue 3 month waiting period, at the least. But until then, I'm off to Haiti! Prayers for our team as we load up and head out this Saturday. I'm looking forward to sharing when I get home!***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Home Study Begin!

Summit 9 (or My Derby Week Plans)

After the Midnight Hour